Every time I run into Dr. Marty Becker at a pet industry event, two things happen.
First, he makes me laugh—really belly laugh (he has a great sense of humor)! Then, he teaches me something new about pet care, which I’m happy to share with you today.
I caught up with America’s Veterinarian in Las Vegas at Superzoo, where he shared five simple steps to save on pet care, without shortchanging your pet.
In today’s Pet Living TV episode, Dr. B breaks it down for us. Are you doing all five of these steps for your pet? What’s missing?
- Feed a high quality food, recommended by your veterinarian. This doesn’t mean you have to buy pet food from your veterinarian–just get their recommendation, based on where you plan to buy your pet food.
- Offer pets some kind of daily oral care. Take advantage of a their desire to chew. Use Milk-bone Brushing Chews, Greenies or C.E.T. HEXtra Chews with enzymes.
- Keep your pet at or very near their ideal body weight. Your pet should have a “waistline”.
- Lifetime pest control—all pets, all year round.
- Bathe dogs weekly, or twice weekly during the height of allergy season. Luckily, cats bathe themselves!
Today’s Tweetable is the tip I found most helpful for my dog Chilly. Please share, post or tweet this: Bathing pets weekly flushes away allergy triggers.
If you do these five steps Dr. Becker recommends, along with routine veterinary visits, your pet has the best shot at staying healthy and happy. And YOU have the best shot at not spending big bucks to treat an illness or condition that could have been prevented.
P.S. Dr. Becker has great pet healthcare advice in his weekly e-newsletter, so be sure to visit his website and subscribe =^.^=!