Chilly, our adopted dog. He’s our pumpkin!
The month of October is commonly known for pumpkins, fall leaves, trick-or-treaters and black cats (sorry dogs!). However October is also becoming known as a favorite time for ever-hopeful shelter dogs in need of good homes. October is National Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month.
Your local shelter is the perfect place to find dogs of every type, size, age and personality—all waiting for a loving home. Or, if you are looking for a particular breed that isn’t available at a shelter, go online to find a breed-specific rescue group in need of adopters like you. Check out some great tips for the first 30 days of dog adoption as well as other helpful articles about pet adoption and even available shelter dogs across the country on Petfinder.com and www.aspca.org/ASDM.
But how can the dog lover who isn’t in a position to adopt a shelter dog help out this October? Here are seven easy ways you can support the cause:
- 1. Spread the Word.Spread the adoption message to all of your friends and followers online! Post this message to your Facebook status: “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog! http://www.petfinder.com”.
- 2. Share Your Own Adoption Story. We found Chilly at the SPCA Tampa Bay. It was love at first snuggle! Everywhere we take Chilly, people ask where we got him. When we say he’s a shelter dog, they are amazed. Spread the word that shelters have GREAT pets! Just because someone else didn’t want them, doesn’t mean they don’t have the potential to be a fabulous companion. Do you have an adoption short of your own? Your story is a powerful “testimony” to others who are considering adopting a shelter dog.
- 3. Be Bird-Like and Tweet. Tweet, re-tweet and repeat the following (or your own message): “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog! http://www.petfinder.com #save dogs”.
- 4. Get Active. Volunteering at your local shelter is a great way to make a difference in the lives of shelter dogs. Volunteers can take dogs for walks, socialize them and help distribute the grub during meal time. But don’t stop there! Shelters and rescues are always in need of supplies—gather up gently used blankets, towels and toys from friends and family to donate—just be sure to check first and see what rescue groups and shelters need most.
- 5. Click and Post. Contact your local shelter or rescue group and offer to photograph their adoptable pets. You can upload the pictures to Petfinder.com as well as share the photos on your personal Facebook page to let your pet-loving FB fans know what pets are available locally. If they already have photos of adoptable pets online, share them on your social networks.
- 6. Speak Up. Pass on your passion about the importance of pet adoption to family, friends and your kids. Ask them to help spread the word by “sharing” your Facebook posts, re-tweeting your Twitter messages and talking to their friends about pet adoption.
- 7. Win Stuff. No trick… we want to give you a treat and help bring awareness to Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. In celebration of your adopted four-legged family members, I’m giving away some pawesome pet products from our sponsors Bissell, PetSafe and Tagg. All you have to do to enter is upload a photo of your dog and tell us how they make your life better. To enter, CLICK HERE.