Here’s the scoop…. this post is sponsored, but opinions are my own and 110% “pawthentic”!
Summer is officially here and that means things are getting hot, hot, hot!
The sunny season means plenty of fun outdoors. But it can also present some unique challenges and hazards for our furry friends, especially when it comes to overheating. After all, dogs and cats can’t cool down as efficiently as we can so it doesn’t take much to put them in the danger zone.
Before you head to the beach or hit the trails, keep these tips in mind for preventing overheating and heatstroke in your pet:
- Limit activity and/or try to walk dogs before 8:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m. Maintain a gentle pace and if your pet seems tired, rest a bit or stop the activity. Never exercise pets in the middle of the day.
- Keep dogs and cats inside on hot days.
- Provide cool, clean water in the home at all times. If you go for a walk or an outing, take along plenty of water and offer it frequently.
- Keep your pet’s coat well groomed, which will help regulate body temperature. If the coat is matted and tangled, the fur can trap heat. On the other hand, shaving a long-haired dog or cat invites sunburn and may actually make it difficult for them to stay cool.
- Kitties are safer living indoors, but if you have a cat that spends time outside, be sure to allow them access to the house or a cooler porch area during the hottest part of the day.
Of course, overheating isn’t the only thing pet parents need to be concerned about during the dog days of summer. So I tracked down some of the hottest products on the market to help keep your pet safe all season long.
Insect Shield for Pets
Along with the heat come the creepy crawlies. Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes aren’t just annoying, they can pose serious health issues for both dogs and cats. Luckily, Insect Shield for Pets makes it easy to pest-proof your outdoor adventures without subjecting your pet to harmful chemicals.
Originally developed for the military, this technology bonds EPA-approved insect repellent to the fabric of pet apparel and gear. It stays in the fabric for the lifetime of the product and best of all – it really works!
Prices range from $10 – $70, and you can find out more at www.insectshieldforpets.com.
CheckUp: At Home Wellness Test for Pets
Since most of us are on the go-go-go during summer, it can be easy to miss signs that your pet isn’t feeling well. CheckUp provides a quick, reliable method to monitor the health of your cat or dog between routine visits to the vet.
Each kit includes a unique urine sample collection method, collection tools and two identical testing strips which detect and monitor the four most common conditions affecting household pets: high glucose, kidney conditions, urinary tract infection, and blood in the urine.
CheckUp can be found on Amazon for about $13. Visit www.checkupkit.com for more information, purchase links, and a store locator.
Dogsport Water Bottle Cap
Did you know that pets are made of more water than we are? That’s why plenty of cool, fresh water is a must for our four-legged companions during the summer heat. For dogs on the go, Dogsport Water Bottle Cap is the perfect H2O solution!
The patent pending dimpled water ball trap technology allows for controlled water flow for both large and small dogs. It fits all standard sized water bottles so all you have to do is twist off your cap and twist on Dogsport.
What tips do you have for helping your pet keep his cool this summer? Share them in the comments below.
This is a sponsored post. However, all opinions and anecdotes are my own, and I never promote any products or brands I don’t believe in. ~Petfully yours, Kristen