Dig this… a portion of this post is sponsored, but opinions are my own and 110% “pawthentic”!
This Sunday, April 22, is Earth Day! Founded in 1970 as a way to bring attention to environmental causes, this annual event has gone global, with more than 1 billion people and 192 countries participating. That makes it the largest civic observance in the world!
There are lots of little things each of us can do every day to help preserve and protect our natural resources, from turning off lights to recycling to being selective about the pet care products we use. Choosing products that are recyclable and made from natural and/or sustainable materials is a great way to start.
I recently went on Daytime TV with my Guinea pig pals, Jack and Wilson, to talk about one of my favorite Earth-friendly pet products: carefresh® small animal bedding. The bedding is made by Healthy Pet, which was founded over 30 years ago on the idea of repurposing sustainable materials. So they’ve been green long before green was a thing! From sourcing and manufacturing to materials and packaging, Healthy Pet strives to value and protect the Earth’s natural resources, as well as the health and wellness of pets and the people that love them.
As part of its commitment to eco-friendly pet products and becoming a more environmentally friendly business, Healthy Pet joined the Pet Sustainability Coalition in 2015. Since then, they have:
- Reduced dumpster loads from 24 loads per year down to four.
- Converted to energy efficient lighting for the entire plant.
- Received the Northwest Clean Air Agency Award for two consecutive years.
Good for the Earth
When it comes to protecting the Earth, carefresh® truly goes the extra mile.
- It is the only bedding made entirely from scratch using sustainable paper fiber, not post-consumer paper products like shredded paper towels, boxes or coffee filters. That means there are no inks or harmful dyes.
- Healthy Pet makes its own paper using raw, natural fiber, obtained directly from its source, that may otherwise end up in landfills.
- It’s biodegradable and compostable (check with composting experts to learn how to do this safely).
- Bedding is available either natural or in a variety of fun colors. The color additives used in the bedding are touch-and food-safe dyes, meaning there’s no need to worry if it’s eaten by a kid or a pet. They are also tested by third-party laboratories for animal safety.
Good for You and Your Small Pet, too!
There are many reasons that pet parents have trusted carefresh® for over 25 years, making it the number one selling brand of small animal bedding. Here are just a few:
- Keeps pets warm and dry, making for a safe, cozy cage.
- Controls odor for 10 days, is three times more absorbent than wood shavings and is 99% dust-free – which means easy clean-up for you!
- Doesn’t get mushy and stick to their habitat like other paper bedding products.
- Comes in three convenient sizes. The new small size is great if you want to make your own blend without buying a larger bag.
- In addition to Guinea pigs, animals like hamsters, gerbils and rabbits love it, too!
Guinea Pig Fast Facts
If Jack and Wilson have made you think about adopting your own Guinea pig, just remember that, even though they’re small, they can live up to eight years and require just as much care and attention as any other pet. Keep these Guinea pig facts in mind:
- They’re best in pairs or small groups of the same sex. Check for compatibility before putting two males together.
- Their teeth grow continuously, so they need things to chew on.
- They need ample space and separate care and play areas.
- They need a “hide house,” water bottle, hay rack, toys and chews.
- Long-haired Guinea pigs need daily grooming
- They need daily housekeeping since they play, eat and potty in same habitat!
- They require natural bedding like carefresh. Never use cedar – it’s toxic!
- They can get easily stressed so handle gently.
Whether you have a guinea pig or other small pet now – or are thinking about getting one soon – be sure to join “club carefresh” at www.carefresh.com for exclusive offers and information!
This is a sponsored post. However, all opinions and anecdotes are my own, and I never promote any products or brands I don’t believe in. ~Petfully yours, Kristen